Using sustainability, safety, sourcing, ethics, and transparency as our guiding principles, Rowan is setting new standards for clean in pet care. We ban the use of more than 2,700 ingredients, formulate to dogs’ specific skin pH, and partner with a clean beauty chemist and Board-Certified Veterinary Dermatologist to develop all of our products. Here’s an in-depth look at how we’re keeping things clean.
Our Clean Beauty Commitment
Rowan uses the Credo Clean Standard as a guide for all of our formulations. Credo is a clean beauty retailer with the strictest clean standard in retail, banning the use of over 2,700 ingredients including the following categories:
- Aluminum Powder
- Animal Derived Ingredients
- Chemical Sunscreens
- Cyclic Silicones
- Ethoxylated Ingredients (including PEGs and Polysorbates)
- Formaldehyde and Formaldehyde Donors
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone
- Perfluorinated Compounds (PFASs or PFCs)
- Petrolatum and Paraffin
- Polycyclic Musks
- Triclosan and Triclocarban
Practices That Put Pups First
Rowan is taking the best of human clean beauty standards and putting them into practice in a way that prioritizes the wellbeing of pups everywhere. We’re purposefully going above and beyond what the pet care industry requires to lead by example. Because we’re our pets’ best advocates.
- We use official ingredient terminology (called INCI) and provide full ingredient disclosures in the INCI format, even though the pet care industry does not require it.
- We obtain documentation on ingredient composition, purity, and sourcing information.
- We perform product stability testing including preservative efficacy testing (PET) and shelf life testing
- We’re transparent about fragrance. We use only naturally-derived fragrances and disclose full fragrance INCIs. This level of fragrance disclosure is not the norm in the human beauty industry, let alone in pet care.
- All of our formulations are developed in-house by a clean beauty chemist and vetted by a Board-Certified Veterinary Dermatologist.
- We formulate to dogs’ specific skin pH, keeping our products between pH 5.5 - 6.5.
- We avoid ingredients known to pose a risk to dogs, even if they’re safe for humans (like Zinc Oxide).
- We consult dog owners in our Rowan community during product development to ensure great performance and get honest pet parent feedback.